Ohio City Incorporated (OCI) is the community development corporation responsible for preserving, promoting and developing the Ohio City neighborhood. OCI serves the community by providing assistance to both neighborhood residents as well as businesses and institutions through the vehicles of advocacy and engagement, community building, marketing, special events, neighborhood planning and housing assistance. The work of OCI is aimed at making Ohio City a vibrant and livable community.
Title: Americorps VISTA Member (1-year commitment starting November 12, 2019)
Reports To: Director of Neighborhood Services
Summary: Ohio City Incorporated is a nonprofit community development corporation whose purpose is to preserve,promote and develop the Ohio City neighborhood. OCI serves the community by providing assistance to bothneighborhood residents as well as business and institutions through the vehicles of advocacy and engagement,community building, marketing, special events, neighborhood planning and housing assistance. Furthermore,OCI is engaged in tenant attraction and retention. The work of OCI is aimed at making Ohio City a vibrant andlivable community.
Position Duties: The OCI workforce development program began in 2018. The VISTA will work with OCI, other CDC partners,institutions, and other community organizations to connect resources to residents living along the W. 25th St.corridor. The goal of the program is to make connections for residents to employment resources (trainings,programs, etc.), employment opportunities in Ohio City and the surrounding neighborhoods (throughemployment fairs and newsletters), and support services to help in finding-and keeping-a job. The OCI VISTA member will focus their activities on continuing the Resource Fairs that directly serve residents; maintaining amonthly newsletter; constantly evaluating the success of programming; and finding new opportunities to makeconnections for residents to information and resources. Specific goals include, but are not limited to:
- Strengthening community partnerships in and out of the Ohio City neighborhood, specifically,identifying organizations that can connect residents to necessary training or employmentopportunities.
- Identify activities in Ohio City and surrounding neighborhoods that could lead to more employmentopportunities for residents.
- Continue to grow the Employment Resource Fairs and to deepen the connection with those who attendthe Fairs.
- Identify ways to ensure sustainability of the program.
The VISTA will also find opportunities to provide financial literacy to residents throughout Ohio City, whetheras incorporated in the workforce training programs or in other venues throughout the neighborhood.
- Monthly Living Allowance: Vistas will receive the cost of living in their area. This works out to bearound $990/month dollars before taxes. Federal taxes are taken out, but State taxes are not.
- Time Off: 10 holidays, 10 personal leave days, 10 medical leave days.
- End of Service Award: VISTA members who successfully complete a term of service are eligible toreceive either a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award of $5,815 to pay for college or to pay off studentloans, or an end-of-service cash stipend of $1,500.
- Relocation: Members serving a 12-month term moving more than 50 mi. are eligible for $500.
- Health Care Support: VISTAs are eligible for reimbursements through VISTA Health Care Allowance.
- Child Care: May be eligible for $400/mo per child under age of 1 years old.